GVR CANADIAN CLUB

 

 

 

 

 

GVR Canadian Club History

Back in 1979 a group of enthusiastic Canadians who wintered in Green Valley got together to share their common bonds and interests.   Green Valley was just a new town, offering retirement activities in a great winter climate.  The idea of a retirement Mecca was partly to offset the economic impact caused by phasing out mining in the area.

The Canadian Club is a Green Valley Recreation (GVR) Club.   As such, it is a nonprofit, volunteer organization that provides Canadians, former Canadians and their guests with an annual program of social activities from November through March.   Back in the early days, Canadian Club activities included a formal dinner dance and picnics at Picacho Peak.   Recently, with computers helping to get the word out, attendance at Canadian Club events has been so large that we are reaching the limits of what Green Valley facilities can handle.   Also, there has been a definite trend towards making events simpler and accessible to all.

Volunteers are the backbone of the organization.   About 30% of the people attending are core members.  This means the other 70% are seasonal members who are made welcome and occasionally asked to pitch in with a task or two on the day of the event.

The Canadian Club Board of Directors are made up of a President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary and a Registrar who tracks membership and event attendance.   As well, the coordinators for each major event sit on the Board, and they often bring along key volunteer personnel to Board meetings.

Membership in the Canadian Club is free.   A nominal fee for some events helps fund the operational expenses of the organization.

In 2007 the Canadian Club instituted this website and an Email contact address year-round.

 

e mail contact: gvcdnclub@gmail.com
www.greenvalleycanadianclub.com